Skip to main content

Sweetest Read: A Review of "The Wedding Bees" by Sarah-Kate Lynch


A really sweet, easy read. Best enjoyed with a glass of iced honey tea.

I've always had a place in my heart for characters that sound like they're from the "polite" southern parts. In my head I always hear their endearing drawl, and I'm always reminded of their prim and proper ways.

The heroine of The Wedding Bees is just that: Proper, polite and charming to a fault. But she's no pampered southern belle. Sugar Wallace is a beekeeper and a whiz at honey-making. She earns her keep, traveling across the country with her honeybee queen, Elizabeth VI, and all the bee drones, in tow.

Her bees led her to set up her beehive on the balcony of an apartment in New York, where despite the stark difference to the southern states from which she hails, she gets to meet and help the residents of the building. Her southern manners and charm provides a refreshing change in the gray lives of her neighbors.

Sugar has resolutely tried to stay out of the path of romance, but it seems like Elizabeth VI and her bee subjects have something up their pollen-filled sleeves.



For me, its enchanting to imagine going on a cross-country adventure to find a place in a world just for yourself; and that's what Sugar Wallace did (with her bees!) She found a good place to stay and cultivated it to the best of her abilities, never mind that she's alone doing it, and in an unfamiliar place, too!

Although I can't imagine being a beekeeper (I'm not really afraid of honeybees, but I'm wary because I can't tell honeybees from killerbees or from wasps or some other kind of not-so-nice bees) but I love the thought that Sugar is an entrepreneur and a manufacturer all on her own. She made soaps, lotions, ointments and batches of honey in a jar from the produce that her bees give her.

Sugar has to survive in a crowded and bustling city without the benefit of knowing anyone before she moved. Luckily, she had her bright disposition and polite manners with her, and she easily made friends among her neighbors and won the heart of a good man.

Sugar was described to be beautiful, softt, with porcelain skin and bright hair. Theo is a lawyer; tall, good-hearted and still had his distinct Scottish accent.

Sugar was not without baggage however, because there's a reason why she's off traveling: To get away from her native South Carolina as far as possible. Despite her strength, she also has had a rough time growing up due to family issues.

I won't give out a lot of spoilers, because there's not really much to spoil since the story flows as sweet as warm honey. Overall the novel gives a bright, hopeful feeling. It also makes you want to make some toast to spread honey and sprinkle a little cinnamon on.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Called A Break Up Because It's Broken

There are those times that we beg, pray, wish with all our might that there's a guide that will tell us what to do or what decisions to make during life's most crushing, crucial parts. Well, guess what, one book on how to get over one is now available in your nearest bookstore. I consider myself one of the very lucky few, I've never experienced a real break-up. Yet. But once, I nearly did and I felt all the mass of the entire universe was sitting on my chest. I can't imagine what it must feel like for the real thing. I think I will combust entirely :( I read this book, It's Called A Break Up Because It's Broken by Greg Behrendt and Amira Ruotola-Behrendt , hoping to get some sense of what to do when time calls for it. I'd like to get equipped for that when the situation comes, so this one book is seriously one of my best arsenals. The book teaches women/ladies/girls how to keep their dignity during and even after a break-up. Most of the time we have no idea

Schoolgirl by Osamu Dazai: Melancholic Contemplation

Arriving all the way from USA, I had a tiny traveler plop down right in front of my desk. The moment I held the book, I immediately focused long and hard on the book cover. I've had my small share of contemporary Japanese novels and each had very interesting designs, but not one is as gently arresting as this Schoolgirl by Osamu Dazai published by One Peace Books . Soft yet stark. I'm not one to judge a book by its cover, but it certainly is a good way to hold the interest of the readers. A closer look at the cover would remind one of things that are "beautiful in its simplicity". Everybody knows the Japanese aesthetics, a "set of ancient ideals that include wabi (transient and stark beauty), sabi (the beauty of natural patina and aging), and yûgen (profound grace and subtlety). * " Reflecting at these values, it's wonderful to observe how the cover follows the flow of wabi and yugen, isn't it? But a book should offer more than

VOV Castledew Eyeshadow Palette

I've always wanted an eyeshadow palette though I'm not sure if eyeshadows are my thing. I just love Castledew because it's so princessy and shiny and jewel-like and perfect. A Castle dew eyeshadow palette in all its shiny pretty glory! This is available in the La Core stall (korean beauty shop). Every time I passed by their stall, I always ask to view the palette and I always jump up and down in delight when I see it. Now I have it! MUAHAHAHA! I'll try to play around with the colors! See you!