Skip to main content

My Booksale Book Hauls

The Cider House Rules by John Irving

"Set among the apple orchards of rural Maine, it is a perverse world in which Homer Well's odyssey begins. As the oldest unadopted offspring at St. Cloud's orphanage, he learns about the skills which, one way or another, help young and not-so-young women, from Wilbur Larch, the orphanage's founder, a man of rare comapssion and with an addiction to ether.

Dr. Larch loves all his orphans, especially Homer Wells. It is Homer's story we follow, from his early apprenticeship in the ophanage surgery, to his adult life running a cider-making factory and his strange relationship with the wife of his closest friend."

Okay, so I have read this book in highschool, and I have to admit it didn't make much sense to me and I don't remember anything except for this particular scene where this girl runs away and the people in the orphanage believe that she'll do well in life anyway because had with her the book "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë. See, I'm not kidding when I told you I don't remember much! I bought this for Php 50.00($1) to read it again, and hopefully this time my brain will digest it better than when I was 15!


The Diving Bell and The Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby:

"Already being greeted with extraordinary acclaim--the astonishing, profoundly moving memoir of a man afflicted by locked-in syndrome, a state of virtyally total paralysis that leaves the victim, in the author's own words, "like a mind in a jar."

In 1995 Jean-Dominique Bauby was the Editor in Chief of French Elle, the father of two young children, a forty three-year-old man known and loved for his wit, his style, and his impassioned approach to life. By the end of the year he was also the victim of a rare kind of stroke to the bain stem. After twenty days in a coma, Bauby awoke into a body that has all but stopped working: only his left eye functioned, allowing him to see and, by blinking, to make clear that his mind was unimpaired. Almost miraculously he was soon able to express himself in the richest detail, blinking to select letters one by one as a special alphabet was slowly recited to him, over and over again. In the same way, he was eventually able to compose this extraordinary book."

I acquired this book in Booksale for Php 45.00 ($0.90) and I can't quite contain my excitement! I watched the film version and it was the most awe-inspiring among all the French films I've seen (well, I've only seen 5 so far anyway). It's not only because of the story itself, but because of how well the entire thing it translated so well in screen. And the cinematography.... oh my gosh, don't get me started on the cinematography, because it blew me away.

Comments

  1. I just reserved the book The Cider House Rules from the library. I've seen the film, and I enjoyed it, so I wanted to check out the book even though I generally don't like reading the book after I've watched the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a John Irving fan though I haven't read Cider House Rules yet. The second book sounds great though a little sad.

    You have a nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie, I haven't gotten around to watching the movie yet. Yeah, it doesn't sit well with me if I watch the movie adaptation first before reading the original novel, it kind of limits my imagination that way :O

    Myckyee, What book would that be? The books I've read from John Irving are A Prayer for Owen Meany (which is very sad!) and The World According to Garp.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Places: PaperRockScissors the Perfect Craft Store in Davao

Listening to: "It's Time" - Imagined Dragons Hello everyone! This post is not exactly skin-care related, but I'd like to share something else tonight. Yes, it's a craft shop :) kind of weird, but you know my recently-aquired love for crafting and sewing, right? However nice Davao City is and its how accommodating its stores and establishments may be, hobby shops are definitely NOT dime a dozen from where I am. I can barely find things I want. National chains for school supplies and crafting items are not much help. But maybe that's my fault: I don't get out a lot. Well if I didn't go out last night for a dinner at Zabadani Cafe ( Grilled Syrian Chicken is just too yummy to pass up!), I would never know that what I needed was right under my nose! A recently-opened shop called Paper Rock Scissors is one of my recent finds. Located just a minute away from where I work is the hobby shop of my dreams! It is so quaint and pretty and houses a lot of craf...

Atoning

Okay so it's not a clever title. Well, I am currently reading Atonement by Ian McEwan (wow, I've been at this book for aaaages) and I am trying to atone for the lack of posts lately! We were having--- actually we still are having a tough time at home. We're moving!!! Been pretty busy with the repairs of the new home and packing all our stuff. *Sniff, Sniff* I feel really sad leaving our home. We've lived there for around 13 years. Hopefully we can all scramble and leave before September 18. And ugh, it's such a downer to spend September 19 unpacking and decorating our home. It's my b irthday , I was planning to host a Crab Party! :( Anyway, I thought I would just like to share my favorite quotes on Atonement , if you don't mind. I love this book. Everytime I read a passage that struck me, I hastily jot it down. The book is wonderfully written, it is so erudite! The story itself makes me contemplate on the dynamics of family, the strength of imagination ...

Go Home Faulkner, You're Drunk ('Difficult Books' series)

In my quest to 'broaden my literary horizon' I made a point to go out of this  terrible 'complaisant zone' I am currently  at. To be honest, my reading state is probably a lot bleaker that what I'm letting on: I have not finished a novel since three months ago! As penitensya for my incessant lack of drive and, I suppose, to jolt my brain back to the pace it used to enjoy prior to this reading drought, I decided that I must go the route of reading 'Difficult Books'. "A difficult book is still just a book",  I told myself; how silly to get hung up on what other people say about how much of a PitA   it is to slough through. I pride myself on reading basically everything I get my hands on. Because when all your life you've felt that reading a book was the warmest , most comfortable state to just be , it feels as natural as a breeze turning a page. So I grabbed a copy of William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury . I am lucky enough to be at ...